Friday, September 21, 2012

Listening and Compliments

LISTENING

So here's my thought for today.

I've been reading about the power of being a great listener. You know the old saying, we have 2 ears and 1 mouth, we should use them in proportion.

The more I think about this, the more powerful of a principle it becomes.

In every relationship we have, whether it's family, friends, business, or even with God, do we do all of the talking or do we ask questions and listen?

The secret in sales and business is to find out what your customer wants and show them how to get it. How can you do that without listening to them?

Doesn't the same thing apply when dealing with your spouse or kids? How about your friends?

What's your position in the circle of your friends? The guy who's always talking about something or the wise quiet one who can always be counted on?

I love the Lincoln quote,"It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

Finally what about your relationship with God? Do we monopolize the conversation or do we ask a question and listen(ponder)? Think about it!

 Have a great day!

COMPLIMENTS

I was reading this morning about the power of a sincere compliment!

That's a lesson that has been driven home to me very forcefully over the years.

Somewhere our society has developed this totally screwed up idea that saying something nice to someone else is this personal weakness called "brown-nosing", and that becoming the King or Queen of the "put-down" is something to aspire to.

Why are we so gullible and foolish?

What I learned the hard way in my youth, is that every time I laid a great put-down on someone thinking to impress the others around me, not only did I not impress anyone, but I did immeasurable damage! Not only to the one whom I attacked but also to my own reputation!

Everyone else around me was wondering what I said about them when their back was turned or when I might think it was socially to my advantage.

Stupid-stupid-stupid!!!

Do you think people will respect you more if they always have to wonder if they will be your next victim, or if they know their name is sacred with you?

People trust those who they feel like "have their back"!

So take every opportunity you get today to give someone a sincere compliment! Watch how it affects them and ask yourself if that doesn't make you feel good or what?

Think 10 years down the road. Will you have more influence in your world if you have made it a practice passing out compliments every day or put-downs?

So have a great day today and help someone else do the same!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment